Saturday, February 19, 2011

Barcelona Part 2

Finally getting around to posting more of my trip. It's taking so long, but I just need to set some time aside for it before I forget everything!

Barcelona Bridge 2

After we checked into our new hostel (our new roommates were from Poland and Taiwan), we decided to wander around our new part of town. Our hostel was located right next to Las Ramblas street, which is a very large (touristy) shopping street with lots of outrageous street performers. It was a lot of fun to see the creativity displayed (we saw invisible men, golden statue figures, and a guy covered in socks) as well as window shop for souvenirs.

At the Barcelona Bridge

Soon, we stumbled upon the harbor, and it was so beautiful! The weather was amazing, and there was this really pretty bridge connecting both sides of the inlet. The vibe was very mellow and relaxed (especially compared to Rome), and we all welcomed the change of pace. For a moment, the seaside and the low-key vibe made me nostalgic for San Diego, but as soon as we began walking and seeing the sights, I forgot about my momentary lapse and just enjoyed the world around me.

Bayside Park Barcelona

We decided to walk along the sea's edge, hoping to circle around and approach the bridge from the other side. Also, I wanted coffee. My GOODNESS I missed Italian coffee. Of course, the moment I was in need of caffeine, we couldn't find a single espresso to save our tired lives.

Barcelona chinese New Years Festival

Despite my sleep-deprived state, we continued to walk and just happened to come upon the Barcelonan Chinese New Year festival. It was such an interesting blend of cultures for me, and while I was thoroughly intrigued by the sights and smells of Chinese foods and goods, I was also amused to think that cultural blendings happen no matter where you are, be it America or Spain.

Scenic View Barcelona

We continued around the inlet, and finally found coffee (YES!). Upon my first sip, my heart missed Italian coffee even more - it just didn't compare. I have no idea what I'm going to do about the coffee situation upon returning to the States. Here's to hoping that Cafe Milano in Berkeley can do a cappuccino as good as a cafe IN Milano.

Rambla de Mar explanation

The bridge was called the Rambla de Mar, and before we reached it, we encountered a huge two story shopping mall. We all had an intense moment of reverse culture shock, because it was almost like being back in America - shopping malls don't exist in Rome. It was a weird experience, and we left quickly (after Laurie and Sara bought some delicious European candy though - so much better than candy shops in Californian malls!).

Finally, we crossed the bridge, and silently contemplated our mellow yet completely satisfying afternoon. Although the coffee only helped slightly with my exhaustion, I was so content at the moment that the dark circles under my eyes couldn't bring me down.

Bus Taxi hmmm Barcelona

In the evening, we decided to go out and explore a little more as well as pick up groceries for a picnic lunch the next day. Las Ramblas had become even more lively, and while we wandered, we were amused at many things that we saw, such as this sign - last time I checked, taxis are small vehicles - not buses.

Multi Language Harry Potter

We also went into a Barcelona bookshop. Part of me was sad that I was surrounded by so many fascinating stories that I couldn't understand, but then I came to this shelf with several versions of Harry Potter. I was giddy. Catalan Deathly Hallows? Awesome! I was also interested in seeing the differing cover art (okay okay, I promise to stop boring you with my obsession now).

Barcelona Clock Tower andSquare

Finally after purchasing some bread and cheese for sandwiches, we plopped down on a bench in Plaza Cataluña, a large square in the middle of the city. It was lively with activity, and we were so happy just to sit, talk, and people watch the evening away. We saw families with adorable children, bicycles speeding by, and vendors selling glow in the dark rockets. The air was chilly as we huddled under our scarves to stay warm, and eventually we wandered back toward our hostel to turn in early for the evening and prepare for our second full day in Barcelona!

No comments:

Post a Comment