Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Paris Day 3

We started our Sunday reallllly early - out of the house by 8! When I arrived in Paris 30 minutes later, it was lovely because it was very quiet and empty - perfect for exploring! Or so I thought.

Notre Dame 2

Me at Notre Dame

The first stop: Notre Dame. The early hour ensured that we had the plaza all to ourselves, so we got in some great pictures of the cathedral without any pesky tourists! (Later in the day that plaza I'm standing in was packed with people.)

Notre Dame Statues

Admittedly, after watching the Disney version of the movie, I was expecting a building larger than life (which in hindsight is quite ridiculous) so when I first saw the building I was a little underwhelmed. Over the course of the next few hours, however, it would redeem itself in my mind.

Rose Window Notre Dame

The first way it did this was by the absolutely amazing stained glass! The rose windows were amazing, and because it was Sunday and there was mass going on, the organ was playing beautiful music and I was awe-struck by my surroundings.

After wandering around the inside of the church for a little while, we went to go find the entrance to the top of the Notre Dame towers only to find that it didn't open until 10! That left us with about an hour to fill...

Hotel De Ville Paris

We pulled out the map to see what was close by, and while we were planning, three extremely tipsy French guys came over to "help". It was a little awkward, and I was just thankful when they finally went on their way after pointing us in the direction of the Hotel De Ville.

Hotel De Ville Paris 2

All of the guidebooks said to take a peak at the inside of the hotel (which was fantastic on the outside), but since it was so early it was closed, too! Feeling a little disheartened, we continued along the street to wander towards the Pompidu center, which was a very modern-looking building that was supposed to have a fantastic view from the top.

Pompidu Center Paris

Honestly, I thought it was an eyesore. It didn't fit the vibe of the rest of Paris at ALL, and to top it off, it was really REALLY sketchy. Maybe it was because we were the only people around, but the numerous homeless people sleeping in the center's corners as well as the terrible smell put us on edge. And to top it all off, the elevator to the top of the center was closed because it was so early!

The day wasn't going according to plan in the least, and finally we threw in the towel and just went to go wait in line for the Notre Dame until it was open. To lighten my mood, I bought a nutella crepe near the line. Even though I'm sure it was a touristy place, my crepe was so good! I wanted to eat one for every meal after that, but because I had so many other French foods to try still, I left it at that one.

Finally it was our turn to enter the tower, and we began climbing... all 366 steps to the top. The organization system for the tower was a little funny (they made us stop and wait in the gift shop for 10 minutes while the rest of the group caught up), and we were both grumbling...

Gargoyle Notre Dame

...but the moment I spotted the first gargoyles I knew it was worth it. All of the negative things about the morning were wiped away as I viewed these wonderful pieces of art that wouldn't be visible to anyone but those who climbed 366 steps to get there.

View of crowd from Notre Dame

Looking down at the crowd, I all of a sudden understood the Disney movie. While the cathedral looks semi-impressive from the ground, the view from the top was spectacular. The people looked like ants, and seeing the building's details made it seem larger than life, just as the movie depicted.

Me on top of Notre Dame

Of course, every great view of Paris must include the Eiffel Tower, and Notre Dame was no exception! It was such a contrast to see the modern wonder in the distance while standing on a medieval monument - all within the same city!.

Stealing Grapes from a Gargoyle

I spent a lot of time looking at the gargoyles because they were all unique and so interesting. I liked this eagle with the grapes quite a bit (I didn't actually touch them, I promise).


I had to duck through this mini door in order to continue climbing more stairs. It was the tiniest door I've ever seen!

Gargoyle and View of Tower

I loved that every way you looked from the eaves of the cathedral provided a different, yet equally amazing view of the architecture or the city below. Walking back down stairs, there was a smile on my face despite the precariously narrow steps that threatened to trip even the most well-balanced of individuals. Fun tidbit: going down a winding staircase for 366 steps makes you dizzy! I never would have thought that could happen.

Shakespeare Book store!

Next up on our agenda was a tour in a few hours, so in the meantime we went to wander and find some lunch. On our way, we stumbled upon the Shakespearean bookstore! I had seen pictures of this bookstore before, and I was so excited to see it in person. We went inside, and it was fantastic. Books everywhere, and when we went upstairs we saw beds, typewriters, and a little nook full of notes from other travelers.

Our tourguide later in the day told us that aspiring writers working on novels can stay in one of the store's beds free of charge for three months if they can prove they are working on a manuscript. Pretty gosh darn cool. No showers or other facilities, but I'm sure that some starving artists appreciate it!

Mexican Foooood

For lunch, we were on a quest. My friend who went to Paris for our first break said she had found reasonably priced Mexican food, so of course I had to look for it! (My first meal upon arriving back in SD is going to be a bean and cheese burrito. Probably my second and third meal, too.) We were elated when we came across the restaurant, and I immediately ordered a burrito. It wasn't as good as in California, but it would suffice for a European substitute!

So that was the first half of the day, but because this post is getting long already (and I have to go study for a midterm), I'll save the second half for tomorrow. The rest of the day was fantastic, though: a tour of Paris' city center, a tour of the Montmartre area, and a dinner in a great French restaurant!

No comments:

Post a Comment