Tuesday, July 26, 2011

May 6th: The Adventure Begins in Venice

After several inquiries from family and friends, I'm finally going to update this blog with all of my travel adventures after the semester ended. I'm hoping to schedule one to be posted every day, so check back frequently :)

DSCN0730
Claudia and I posing with one of our first views of Venice

Our journey began today almost flawlessly. Despite a transportation strike, we got a bus straight to the train station and got on board. The only problem? Our train car was filled with a squad of 10-year old basketball players! They were outrageously loud (and at one point one was creepily hovering over my chair while I napped - I think the American on the Italian train was a novelty in some respects), but luckily they got off the train after a few hours. In case you're wondering, a train from Rome to Venice takes about 7 hours.

DSCN0713
Me and our host, Usman, trying to work out camera settings for dusk (he's a very avid photographer)

When we arrived in Venice, I was a little concerned about meeting up with our couchsurfing host, Usman, because I hadn't been able to contact him by phone. This fact didn't detract from how amazing the city's first impression was, though. It's like nothing I've ever seen before - houses plunging straight into the water, boats abound, and not a car in sight!

PICT0054
The breath-taking view that lays at the end of every path in Venice

Every street is a new adventure and because there are no visual landmarks, you often stumble upon something wonderful without even meaning to!

We eventually met up with Usman and had a nice, simple dinner of pasta (when in Italy, what else?) and had a nice time getting to know each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment