Thursday, July 28, 2011

May 8th: Venice

I'm on a train heading to Verona, and while I am excited, I am also sad to leave this beautiful city. Last night was quiet, and I slept better (I forgot to mention that Claudia and I were sharing a twin bed! It was an interesting experience to say the least, but couchsurfers can't be choosers.). This morning we said goodbye to Ali and headed to Venice for a final breakfast. Yesterday we had a fun exchange with a barista named Claudio (because Claudia's name is so similar) and we went back to the same place for a cappuccino and cornetto. Unfortunately our new friend was not working today.

PICT0121
I think I have a future career as a gondolier

PICT0116
Gondola ride for 200 euro? No thanks. Free picture *next* to the gondola? Sure! (The owner of this gondola thought it was hilarious that we asked, but complied anyway)

Afterwards, we wandered, sent postcards, and window-shopped - some of the masks we saw were incredible. We also stealthily tried on gondolier's hats and took pictures outside of a souvenir shop - shh!

PICT0048
Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful masks!

PICT0101
A lone Venetian paddling his gondola. Cliche, simple, and absolutely exquisite

PICT0118
A gondola-crossing sign. I was so tickled that something like this would actually exist, so naturally I took a picture

Now it's on to Verona where we will meet our Italian-only speaking host, Elena, and explore the home of Romeo and Juliet (balcony serenading will most definitely be included!).

No comments:

Post a Comment