Well, it's been another busy 24 hours here in Roma. After class and a semi-relaxing afternoon yesterday, our program hosted a welcome dinner at an Italian restaurant. I was concerned how they planned to accommodate 100 hungry college students, but the restaurant had enough seating for us plus a few chagrined Italian groups as well.
There's one thing to know about Italian meals: it's not an affair to take lightly. There's an antipasti (appetizer), a first course (usually pasta or something similar), a second course (usually a meat), and a dessert. And in Italy, it's considered rude if you don't finish everything that's on your plate. This is totally my kind of country.
When I first heard this, I wondered how on EARTH it is that all Italians are not obese, but I now know that the answer to this question lies in a few things:
1) Breakfasts and lunches are small, usually a pastry and cappuccino for breakfast and a panino (sandwich) for lunch. This leaves room for people to build up a hearty appetite for dinner.
2) In Rome, at least, there is SO much walking. I think I walk at least 6 or 7 miles on average per day. With that much physical exercise, there's no way that weight gain is inevitable.
3) Lastly (my favorite point, too) is that Italians spend time enjoying their meal. Our dinner was spread out over two hours, and in between the eating, there's plenty of room for great conversation as well as some digestion to make room for the next course. While the food is an important part of dinner, the company is equally valued. It is this factor that makes me love traditional Italian dinners so much.

Our first dish of the night was our antipasti of bruscetta (toast with toppings). I loved all of the different options that we were given: tapendade, artichoke spread, tomatoes, as well as a melted cheese topping.

The second dish was pasta, and it had a great flavor. It was cooked al dente (my favorite) and the sauce was slightly sweet and smokey with a great tomato flavor. I definitely ate every single noodle.


The main course was this shredded marinated beef (I think) with greens, and the meat had amazing flavor. So juicy and quite salty, and it went wonderfully with the potatoes they served alongside. Covered with olive oil and baked until crispy, these potatoes were great. I admit that I'm not usually a potato fan, but these were fantastic (once again, all but four lettuce leaves were consumed).

Lastly, we had tiramisu. I've never had tiramisu, but now I think I want to order it everywhere I go in Italy. It was by FAR the most amazing part of the meal, and even though I was starting to feel quite full, I ate and enjoyed every last bite. The lady fingers were tender and crumbly, the espresso flavor was nutty and not over-powering, and the cream was sweet and airy. From a food perspective, it was a wonderful way to end the evening.
After dinner, I went home and slept for a good 9 hours (I think I'm going to be perpetually tired here in Roma, but I guess that's what happens when the days are so jam-packed). I had class in the morning, which was once again a lot of fun, and directly after class I decided to go visit the Pantheon because it was A) Close by, B) Free, and C) Open. A lot of churches and attractions close from 1 (when classes end) to 4, so it's hard to find things open when it's most convenient.


The Pantheon was awe-inspiring. I've seen pictures of it before and have passed by it a few times since my time here, but the inside is something I never could have imagined.


The dome is so large, and I think that even the best photographer would fail to truly capture the size of it. What made it even more amazing was considering its origins. The Pantheon is the oldest surviving building of its kind. Others existed, but were either pillaged, destroyed, or dismantled for parts in other eras, so it gives me shivers to thing of how much history its seen. The idea that a dome of this size could be constructed sans-machines is baffling, and even more so when the consideration of its preservation across time is taken.

My favorite part of the Pantheon was by far the ceiling, but the surrounding architecture was also quite grand. The corinthian columns were so intricate and beautiful that I wished I had a way to go up and examine them more closely. The floor was also wonderful - the polished stone was so perfect and the design helped tie the whole building together. I liked that it wasn't that crowded when I went, because I really felt connected to the building, and I don't think this would have been possible if I had to worry about being jostled by people or do strategic crowd-weaving.

Lastly, just for fun, is something kind of geeky-cool I saw within the Pantheon. I read in a guidebook that Raphael's (the artist... and the ninja turtle) tomb was located in the Pantheon, and lo-and-behold, when I went inside there was a tomb encased in glass. Raphael's, to be exact. It was kind of cool to think that I was just meters away from such a great painter and thinker from an earlier century.
Well, that's it for today! It's only 8:15, but I'm already contemplating bed!
No comments:
Post a Comment